Saturday, May 5, 2018

Highlighting Cards by Brenda Z. of Wi. / What to Do With Those Pesky Scraps

Brenda Z. of WI. is a repeat donor to the charities I mail cards to.  I had so much fun going through her box of cards today... they are so whimsical and detailed!  Here are just a few examples:

I know I have shown this box card before on my blog (check out the ones from Connie M. on an earlier blog), but I wanted to share Brenda's themes. I know the kids will get such a kick out of receiving these cards.  It must take time and patience to create such an awesome card.


 

And who wouldn't love getting this card.  I am thankful that Brenda made this a Birthday card instead of a Father's Day card as I do not need Father's Day cards this year.  How much fun for any male to get this, no matter what age.  Check out all the small tools and attention to detail!  Wow!




And last, but certainly not least - look at these incredible barn door slider cards.  Brenda has far more patience that I have!  Thank goodness for such generous card makers who share their creations with me. 



Thank you, Brenda.  Your cards are going to bring so much joy to so many!  You Rock!

TIP of THE DAY:   As promised, I will share my scrap story with you today.  After visiting a new friend in Arlington a few months ago (Roberta G.) and seeing how she organized her scraps, I came home and was determined to get a handle on all my boxes and drawers and bags of scraps.  Unlike the videos which say to throw any scrap under 6" away, I keep almost everything.  I KNOW I can make fun things out of scraps.  Are you the same way?  But, when push comes to shove, I can't find anything because I have SO MUCH!  My niece, Kelly, donated two hanging over-the-door containers/bags to me to start me off.  So, I got all motivated, dragged out one box of scraps and immediately got overwhelmed.  It is not in my nature to sort and organize.  So, enter Kelly in person - she had my scraps sorted, organized according to size, color or pattern in no time.  I sat and cut down scraps into 1.5" x 4" pieces as she worked to help out.  She ended up with 4 major categories - small scraps, medium scraps, large scraps, themes.  Each took up one side of the hanging bag.  And because Kelly is Kelly, she organized them in the rainbow color scheme.  This is how they turned out:
I hang these on the back of the two doors in my craft room.  (Notice how many empty slots there still are!  Room for even more scraps.) It is so easy to find what I need now or to coordinate colors when making cards.  And I find that I use scraps for so many types of cards.  Even when I just need banners, or circles - why cut into a full sheet of paper when a scrap will do?
I had several friends over the other day just to make scrap backgrounds.  It was so easy to find just the color and size scrap we wanted.
Here are some examples of the types of backgrounds or uses for scraps...






(Yes, the green corners should have been rounded as well.)





So many scraps!  So little time!

Thanks for stopping in today.  Hugs, Jill




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards, and a great organizational tip. You have a special niece to help you organize all those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. Which is why she is a Professional Organizer. And the fact that she lives next door is a HUGE help!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great cards, you are really creative with scraps! :) Great cards from Brenda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. You know me - I am too cheap to thrown anything away. Reuse, repurpose, rethink.....

      Delete
  3. Awesome scrap ideas, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - I hope to inspire others to use their scraps instead of throwing them away!

      Delete
  4. Great use of scraps!!! I need to get to my big bag of 1/2" strips!!! Glad you are organizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were my inspiration. Kelly was my application. Now I can create! It really does take a village.....

      Delete